Setting up a blog on your website is the best way to promote your services through SEO and content marketing. A blog can be used to create posts that are related to your business and help drive traffic to your main site.
It is also a great way to engage with your customers and develop a more meaningful relationship. If you already have a website in place, there are two ways that you can use to integrate a blog.
Setting up a blog for websites built on WordPress
One of the easiest ways to merge a blog to your website is by using WordPress. If you have not installed WordPress or your Web host doesn't support it, you might want to consider doing it.
Supposing your actual domain name is something like www.yourdormain.com. The best way to create a blog in WordPress for this domain is to have a page which will act as the blog so that your website blog can be accessed at www.yourdomain.com/blog.
Below are the steps to set up a blog for your website with WordPress:
- Login to your WordPress dashboard and navigate to pages. Click on Add New. Since your new blog will literally be accessed as a page, you create it the same way you do a page. For easier understanding, think of your blog as just another page on your site.
- When the Add New page opens, type your preferred blog name in the title box. Since you are merely creating a blog for your website, there is no need to rack your brains for fancy names. You can as well just name it "Blog". Your new page slug will automatically be set to /blog (Or the name you used for your blog).
- Do not type anything in the text box on your page. You leave the content area blank because unlike a normal page where a static article is displayed, you want to post a series of blogs posts and not just a single article.
- Publish your new page. When you click the publish button, the new page will automatically be added to your database and published to your original WordPress website. The page can now be accessed at www.yourdomain.com/blog, but if you follow that link, you will realize that it is empty. This is because you have not assigned the page you created as your website blog. Until then, it remains a normal page.
- Navigate to settings, then choose Reading. On the Reading Settings page, Click on the Static Page, then go to the Posts Page drop-list and select the name of the page you created. For example, Blog.
- You can choose the number of blog posts you want to display on your new blog, in the Show at the Most section. For example, if you choose 6, the Blog page will display the last six posts you published on your blog.
- Click on Save Changes. If you already have some posts done, they will display on your new Blog page when you refresh. If not, publish a few blog posts and then refresh. The posts you just published should be displayed.
Setting Up a Blog as a Subdomain
To create a blog as a subdomain of your main website domain, for example, blog.yourdomain.com, follow the following steps:
- Login to your Webhost cPanel and navigate to Subdomains
- In the dropdown list, choose the name of your main website
- Type your preferred blog name
- Install WordPress to your subdomain using any of the available WordPress installers. You do this exactly the same way you installed WordPress no your main website
- Save changes. Your New blog can now be accessed at blog.yourdomain.com
For this option, your blog will act as a separate site from your main website. It, therefore, has its own separate dashboard from where you can start creating posts.
Setting up your blog as a subfolder of your site is most recommended by marketing and SEO experts. This is because when you set up a blog as a subdomain of your main site, Google, and other search engines will treat it as a different website. While a subdomain blog can still serve the purpose of promoting the services offered on your main business website, it is not good for SEO and content marketing. If you are using WordPress, you should, therefore, go with the first option.